Food /Industrial/Pharma Grade Benzoic Acid Used as Raw Material In
Product name: Benzoic acid
Synonyms: Benzenecarboxylic acid; Benzeneformic acid;
Benzenemethonic acid; Carboxybenzene; Oracylic acid; phenyl
carboxylic acid; Phenylformic acid
Molecular Formula: C7H6O2
Molecular Weight: 122.12
CASE NO: 65-85-0
Product Grade: Food grade / Industrial grade / Pharma grade
Benzoic acid, used as a food preservative, represented by the
E-numbers E210, E211, E212, and E213, the simplest aromatic
carboxylic acid containing carboxyl group bonded directly to
benzene ring, is a white, crystalline organic compound, The name
derived from gum benzoin, which was for a long time the only source
for benzoic acid. This weak acid and its salts are used as a food
preservative. Benzoic acid is an important precursor for the
synthesis of many other organic substances.
Physical & Chemical Properties.:
Food grade:White crystallized powder; Industrial grade:white
Melting at 121.5-123.5 C (starting sublime at 100 C); boiling at
Slightly soluble in water, soluble in ethanol, very slightly
soluble in benzene and acetone.
1. As the preservative, mainly use in fruit
juice,drug,toothpaste,soft drink etc.
2. Also used as raw material of dye intermediate, paint synthesis,
plasticizer and flavors.
3. It is also used in the manufacture of alkyd resins and drilling
mud additive for crude oil recovery applications.
1. Benzoic acid is commonly used as food preservative.
2. Benzoic acid is usually used as raw material in the production
of pesticide, dye, medicine, perfume,
3. Modifying agent for polyamide resin and alkyd resins.
4. Rust inhibitor of steel equipment and so on.